Monday, January 10, 2011

La Primera Semana de Clases

We started classes on Tuesday of last week. It's been really hectic figuring out my classes and getting into the swing of a new schedule!

I'm not taking any Spanish grammar courses, but I'm taking three classes taught exclusively in Spanish which is more than I ever have before. One is on cinema and literature in Latin America, one on contemporary Costa Rican women writers, and another called phonetics and phonology, which deals mostly with sounds and pronunciation.

I'm also taking one class in English: Latin American dance theory. We'll be watching documentaries, learning about the history of the dances and their characteristics and beats, and going out to a few dance clubs on field trips. It also includes an optional class afterwords where we learn dances like Salsa and Merengue. So far it's been really fun!

I've had a good amount of reading assigned already, all in Spanish, which is hard to get used to but undeniably beneficial. I expect that my vocabulary and fluency will improve very quickly!

The best thing about not taking grammar classes (besides that I find them boring and tedious) is that I don't have class in the morning or on Fridays! Which leaves me plenty of time to explore the city or spend time with my host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment